A dental implant is a screw-type device (similar to the root of a tooth) that a dentist places in your jaw to hold an artificial cap or a bridge. Dental implants are an ideal option for people in good general health who have lost their teeth. The best advantage of implants is that they do not rely on neighbouring teeth for support. ADVANTAGES OF DENTAL IMPLANTS OVER DENTURES OR A BRIDGE
ADVANTAGES OF DENTAL IMPLANTS OVER DENTURES OR A BRIDGE very way you look at it, dental implants are a better solution to the problem of missing teeth.
Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. Since dental implants integrate into the structure of your bone, they prevent the bone loss and gum recession that often accompany bridgework and dentures. No one will ever know that you have a replacement tooth.
Tooth-saving- Dental implants don’t sacrifice the quality of your adjacent teeth like a bridge does because neighbouring teeth are not altered to support the implant. More of your own teeth are left untouched, a significant long-term benefit to your oral health!
Confidence- Dental implants will allow you to once again speak and eat with comfort and confidence! They are secure and offer freedom from the irksome clicks and wobbles of dentures. They’ll allow you to say goodbye to worries about misplaced dentures and messy pastes and glues.
Reliable- The success rate of dental implants is highly predictable.
They are considered an excellent option for tooth replacement.
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
The ideal candidate for a dental implant is in good general and oral health. Adequate
bone in your jaw is needed to support the implant, and the best candidates have
healthy gum tissues that are free of gum disease.
What Is Treatment Like?
This procedure is a team effort between you and your dentist. Your dentist will consult with you to determine where and how your implant should be placed. Depending on your specific condition and the type of implant chosen, your dentist will create a treatment plan tailored to meet your needs. More information about the treatment options is described below.
Replacing a Single Tooth: If you are missing a single tooth, one
implant and a crown can replace it.
Replacing Several Teeth: If you are missing several teeth, implant-supported
bridges can replace them.
Replacing All of Your Teeth: If you are missing all of your teeth,
an implant-supported full bridge or full denture can replace them.
Sinus Augmentation: A key to implant success is the quantity and quality of the bone where the implant is to be placed. The upper back jaw has traditionally been one of the most difficult areas to successfully place dental implants due to insufficient bone quantity and quality and the close proximity to the sinus. Sinus augmentation can help correct this problem by raising the sinus floor and developing bone for the placement of dental implants.
Ridge Modification Deformities in the upper or lower jaw can leave you with inadequate bone in which to place dental implants. To correct the problem,
the gum is lifted away from the ridge to expose the bony defect. The defect is then filled with bone or bone substitute to build up the ridge. Ridge modification has been shown to greatly improve the appearance and increase your chances for successful implants that can last for years to come.
IMPLANT PLACEMENT PROCEDURE
1. Multiple Visits The dental implant procedure comprises several appointments, most of which will be more considerable compared to the rest.
2. Pain Tolerance One of the most widespread worries around dental implants is usually that the procedure may be painful and uncomfortable. Dentists will certainly make sure your mouth is sufficiently numb to make the procedure pain free.
3. Smokers Beware In case you are a passionate cigarette smoker
and wishing to obtain titanium dental implants, be ready for your dentist advising
you to stop. Considerable studies have demonstrated that people who smoke and have
got dental implant surgery, possess lower effectiveness compared to the ones from
patients that don’t smoke.
4. Diabetic Warning For those who have diabetes, we request details and could tell you just how dental implants may not be good for you. Whenever getting dental implants put in, your gums need to recover as fast and completely as possible to ensure the process to be effective, and several diabetics might not recover fast sufficient to accomplish this. Nonetheless, if you are 100% sure regarding your situation as well as your dentist approves to look ahead considering the surgery, you should be okay.
5. Bone Grafting, Pros and Cons Your dentist could suggest you
do have a bone graft done prior to getting a dental implant to make sure the jaw is
actually strong sufficient to support them. This process is more largely recommended
in case you were getting “immediate implants”, which means you were having crowns
set in right away rather than spanning out the procedure over several months.
6. Recuperation Period According to the number of implants you obtained and the way the process was done, it might take several months for your mouth to completely recover. You might be suggested to go on a soft diet plan, composed of just soft and liquid foods until finally the dentist is convinced the implants have fused to your bone. Ignoring this method, also known as osseointegration, and deciding not to comply with your dentist’s recommendations will certainly decrease your dental implant’s chances of success.
8. Costs One of the greatest factors that prevent people from having dental implants is the very high cost for dental care. Regrettably also several of those with excellent dental insurance have no coverage for the total amount of the process and have to pay out the remaining out of pocket. Nevertheless, the benefits of obtaining implants might be much greater than the price for these.
What To Expect After Treatment?
As you know, your own teeth require conscientious at-home oral care and regular dental visits. Dental implants are like your own teeth and will require the same care. In order to keep your implant clean and plaque-free, brushing and flossing still apply!
After treatment, your dentist will work closely with you to develop the best care plan for you. Periodic follow-up visits will be scheduled to monitor your implant,
teeth and gums to make sure they are healthy
Dental Implant Failure
Studies have demonstrated that health risk associated with dental implant failure is around five per cent for lower jaw implants and ten percent for top jaw implants. However one of the popular unclear issues with dental implant failure is the fact that in one person owning various implants,
possibly most although one of many implants are going to be effective. There was no way, up to now, to find out exactly what leads to selective dental implant failure.
Dental surgeons have indicated that this sort of dental implant failure can be the consequence of bacteria contained in the actual jawbone previous to an implant being introduced. When the implant is actually screwed in the bone, it reveals the bacteria and also transforms them loose inside the tissue encompassing the implant.
So long as the additional implants usually are put into bacteria-free bone, they are going to cure cleanly and quickly, however the germ-infested implant could eventually turn out to be infected, by no means curing the right way, and the implant may ultimately fail.
Dental Implant Rejection
Dental implant failure is totally different from dental implant rejection. Dental implants are constructed with titanium, a metal that, as a result of its “inert” character, continues to be used for almost forty years within hip substitutes. Titanium makes absolutely no side effects or allergy symptoms in human tissue, except for extremely rare occasions.
A dental implant, even so, may become infected at the factory exactly where these
are produced, despite the fact that most dental implant producers ought to conform
to rigorous FDA high-quality requirements. Or perhaps it could possibly get polluted
inside the dentist’s workplace throughout the implantation process, even though
almost all dental surgeons may also be likely to continue with the greatest sterilizing
Whatsoever the fundamental reason behind a dental implant failure, the disappointment is usually to surface after that the actual implant procedure. Anybody going through too much soreness or even hemorrhaging following an implant process have to get in touch with their own dental surgeon right away.